CLICK HERE TO SEE NEWS ABOUT THE NEW WOMEN'S TIMBER CORPS STATUE
 

On joining each girl was supplied with: 

  • 2 green jerseys

  • 2 pairs of riding breeches

  • 2 overall coats

  • 2 pairs of dungarees

  • 6 pairs of woolen knee socks

  • 3 beige knit shirts

  • 1 pair boots

  • 1 pair of brown shoes

  • 1 pair of gumboots or boots with leggings

  • 1 green beret

  • 1 melton overcoat

  • 1 oilskin or mackintosh

  •  2 towels

  •  a green armlet and a metal badge, a bakelite hat badge

Rosalind Elder W. T. C.

 

The Bakelite Timber Corps Hat Badge

The Women's Land Army Green Armlet
  In full dress uniform

The Timber Corps Arm band

  Margaret Brown, WTC

For every six months of satisfactory service a half diamond was added to the armlet. A special armlet was awarded after two years of service and a scarlet armlet after four years service. Many women had to pay for part or all of this uniform and it was a source of irritation that they received no additional clothing coupons and that often German and Italian prisoners of war received allocations of Wellington boots before the Land and Timber Corps Girls. The uniform was smart, stylish and practical and a considerable source of pride.
 

To see a list of some of Women's Timber Corps Members click the "Honour Roll" button below 




 WTC members, family or friends, I would appreciate any information on names of any Women's Timber Corps members and camps where they were stationed and there name will be added to the
"Honour Roll".  Please forward your information by clicking the button below.


 
 

The following are the camps Rosalind Elder was stationed from 1942 to 1946

  1. Advie Camp, Morayshire.

  2. Dunvegan House, Grantown-on Spey, Morayshire.

  3. Auchterblair Camp, Carrbridge, Inverness-shire.

  4. Inverchoalain Lodge, Toward, by Dunoon, Argyleshire.

 
 

 

Copyright R. Elder May 2007

    

In Scotland, "You can still hear the wind whispering in the trees"